29 Church Street, P.O. Box 99, Turin, GA 30289 - Phone #(770) 599-3626
Turin Baptist Church
Thursday, October 21, 2021

History

Turin Baptist Church History

 

Turin Baptist Church is not an old church, relatively speaking. It is the offspring of Mt. Lebanon Baptist Church in Sharpsburg. Turin Baptist Church and Sharpsburg Baptist Church are daughters of the old Mt. Lebanon Church that stood at the intersection of McIntosh Trail and Reese Road where the Adamson home place is located.

 

Turin Baptist Church was organized in 1890. The charter members were John Henry Bailey, Mattie Bryan, Mary Cole, Sallie Dominick, Judson Harris, Lucy J. Harris, Mr. & Mrs. Fielding Hunter, Mr. & Mrs. John B. Hunter, Mary Hunter, A.S. Jones, Alice Moses Jones, Rebecca Lester, Mary Level Moses, Luther T. Moses, Etta North Moses, Charles Level Moses, Blanche Moses, Emma North, Freddie North, Mr. & Mrs.Hiram Page, Reverend Henry S. Rees, Martha Level Rees, James L. Rees, Mamie Rees, Mr. & Mrs. Woody Walton, and Mary Wyley.

 

For several months after the church was organized Sunday School and church services were held in the Presbyterian Church which stood near the old railroad station in Turin. While worshiping there during 1890, plans were made to build. A lot was acquired from Mrs. Addie Harris Russell. Mr. Charles L. Moses was chairman of the building committee. Today we are worshiping in the building they erectedi 1891 and dedicated in 1892. Rev. J. H. Hall, from Newnan, preached the dedication sermon.

 

Turin Baptist Church is a small church, but the measure of a church is not the number of its members but the depth of faith of its Christians and the effect of that faith on those with whom they come in contact. In a time when churches everywhere are accused of being behind the times, Turin Baptist Church is on the move.

 

As we bring the history of our church into the living present, we rejoice to know it is still honored and loved, not only by those who worship here now, but by those who worshiped here as children and have moved to various locations.